How to use this forum

Topics related to cruising/casual sailing

How to use this forum

Postby Harriet » 05 Aug 2014, 08:31

Hello

Here is a short guide to joining in on these club forums.

First:
To look around the forum and to read the posts, there is no need to register or to login. Just start at the board index http://www.attenboroughsc.org.uk/forum/ and work your way around.

Secondly:
To reply or post topics you need to register with a unique (private) username. This is not the same login as the member's only area of the website.

There are links at the top right of the page for 'register' and 'login'.

Click on the 'register' link, you'll get a page of text with terms and conditions.
Once you click 'I agree' (after reading it, of course you read it, didn't you?) you'll see a form.

Choose a username, enter your email address, choose a password and answer the security question.

You might want to think for a moment about your username. It will be displayed on the forum for the world to see, but it doesn't have to be your full name. I use my first name only and other people use nick names.

The reason for the security question is to stop the forum being bombarded with people who just want to advertise tablets and sun glasses.

Once done, you'll get an email to confirm registration. Click on the link in the email and you are ready to post.

The above should only take a few minutes.

When you first post, you will have to wait for your post to be approved. This will only be for the first few posts.

Next:
Next time you come to the forum, you can log in with the login link, top right.

You'll see a link to the 'User Control Panel'. This is where you can personalise things like whether you get an email when someone posts or whether people can send you direct messages.

One setting you might like to change is Board Preferences -> Edit display options -> Display topic order direction and Display post order direction.
I changed these to 'Descending' so that the most recent post is at the top.

You will also see a link on the bottom left of forum pages for you to subscribe or unsubscribe to that forum.

To reply or start a new topic, click on the button on the relevant topic or message page.

Enjoy!

Any questions or problems such as the security question when you register, please get in touch with Dennis dennis. bell @ parkerg. co. uk . (delete the extra spaces)
Harriet

Return to Cruising