Winter Wednesday Travellers 2014

All info/thoughts relating to Attenborough Sailing Club

Re: Winter Wednesday Travellers 2014

Postby Miracle helm » 20 Nov 2014, 12:16

Wednesday 26th November 2014
Another very pleasant evening was had at the Hop Pole last Wednesday, where once again our top notch quiz team failed to live up to their potential and came nowhere near the prizes. Hey ho - the free Chilli and Chips were very tasty.
This week we're all off to the Top House, aka The White Lion, Town Street, Bramcote, NG9 3HH.
www.whitelionbramcote.co.uk/

Assembling around the 20.30 hrs mark (ish).
Miracle helm

Postby Miracle helm » 27 Nov 2014, 11:37

Wednesday 3rd December 2014
What a brilliant night we had at the Top House last Wednesday with the biggest turnout of the season so far and with some very tasty beers it was most enjoyable.
This coming Wednesday we are heading to Beeston to visit The Star Inn, 22 Middle Street, Beeston NG9 1FX with their most excellent choice of at least 10 real ales. (Can I recommend the Standin Jockey).

https://sites.google.com/site/starbeeston/

Hope you all have a great evening, I shall be buying the round at Wiseman's Bridge Inn on that night, but suspect I'll be on my own.
Miracle helm

Postby Turbo » 02 Dec 2014, 13:58

We had a great turnout last week at the "Top House" with 13 members enjoying the very convivial atmosphere not to mention the tastey ales presemted by the landlady. It was great to see so many new faces at the Wednesdays get together.

This week it was voted that we will meet at "The Star Inn" in Beeston - opposite where the old firestaion used to be on the cross roads in the middle of Beeston next to the White Lion Hotel; 22 Middle St, NG9 1FX.

They too host a fine array of real ales and are on the local bus routes (Beeston bus station just across the road) and hopefully within striking (striding) distance for many members. We hope to see you there from 8:30pm onwards.

Nick (Turbo) Ross
Turbo

Postby Turbo » 10 Dec 2014, 00:29

ASC - WEDNESDAY WINTER NIGHT TRAVELLERS SERIES

This week’s venue, as chosen by those present at last week’s meeting is the Malt Shovel Inn, 1 Union St, Beeston, Nottingham NG9 2L (Beeston town centre).

Last year saw the club enjoying the Inn's regular weekly quiz, fine ales and chip supper.

Come along and join the regulars for a most convivial evening. 8:30pm onwards.

Nick (Turbo) Ross
Turbo

Postby Miracle helm » 12 Dec 2014, 14:57

Wednesday 17th December
A very pleasant evening was had at the Malt Shovel in Beeston last week, were once again the quiz team failed to live up to expectations. The free chips were excellent though.
This week we are wending our weary way to The Organ Grinder, 21 Alfreton Road, Nottingham NG7 3JE, just down from Canning Circus. This was one of our busier nights last year and as its the last before Christmas and indeed the last one of the year we are expecting a large turnout.
The Organ Grinder is the Blue Monkey Brewery Tap and hence has a large selection of the fabulous and award winning Blue Monkey beers.

http://www.bluemonkeybrewery.com/pubs/organ-grinder-nottingham

See you all there from 20.30 hrs.
Miracle helm

Postby Miracle helm » 22 Dec 2014, 09:52

Wednesday 7th January 2015
There is no meeting of the Winter Wednesday Travellers this week, 24th Dec, as I assume most of you will be far too busy wrapping my presents. Likewise for the 31st Dec, there will be a lot of undesirables out on this particular night which could easily offend the more sensitive of you. Hence we are leaving it all until next year.
We are planning a trip out to the Wild West (of Sawley) and are meeting in the White Lion, 352 Tamworth Road, Sawley. NG10 3AT. This recently modernised Free House has its own brewery upstairs and are busily building a bigger purpose built brewery in their back garden.
It serves some very nice ales including Blue Monkey BG Sips, and Bass as well as various other guest ales. It also has a Bar Billiards Table (anyone know how to play??).
It's a bit of a way out for most of you that's why I've given you 3 weeks to plan how to get there. On the Nottingham Skylink and close to the My15 Trent Barton services.
Have a fantastic Christmas and may 2015 bring you all you wish for.
B
Miracle helm

Postby Miracle helm » 10 Jan 2015, 11:33

Wednesday 14th January 2015
The venue for this weeks trip is the Crown Inn , Middle Street, Beeston, NG9 1FY.
Now the tram works are finally starting to look like they may actually finish one day, we can get to the Crown again, Hurrah!!!
A well-known, multi-award winning pub close to Beeston Bus (and evenually - Tram) station with a constantly changing selection of 14 excellent ales from all across the country.
Get there early to avoid disappointment.
Miracle helm

Postby Miracle helm » 15 Jan 2015, 14:21

Wednesday 21st January
This week's venue is a return trip to Nottingham in The Hand and Heart, 65-67 Derby Road, NG1 5BA.

http://www.thehandandheart.co.uk/

The Hand & Heart is a traditional English pub steeped in history with a sandstone cave at the back and Victorian front still largely in their original condition. Upstairs is the Garden Room conservatory with a real wood fire and sheltered smoking terrace.

The Hand & Heart started its commercial life in 1866 as a brewery. The building was originally comprised of a Georgian House with stables to the back and a cave below. The beers were brewed in the converted stables and dropped through, for storage, into the cave. Soon after, when the Victorian shop front was added, it started to retail beer as a public house. Later, in the early 60’s, the roof terrace was replaced by a glass conservatory. Whilst it has seen many changes the building has retained its character and atmosphere.

After trading for many years, it closed in 2004 and was re-opened in June 2008 by the current owner. With the addition of a tiled floor in the 1970’s and wooden cladding to some of the walls, the cave has remained mostly unchanged.

It has an award winning selection of fine ales to try and has been voted the Best Pub in Nottingham 2012 with runner up in 2013.

See you all there
An early warning for Wednesday 11th February, we are aiming to visit the National Winter Beers Festival, at The Roundhouse, close to Derby Rail Station.

www.nwaf.org.uk

A selection of over 400 'Winter Ales' including Stouts, Porters and other winter beers. Should be a good evening.
Miracle helm

Postby Turbo » 17 Jan 2015, 19:58

I don't often post comments to the Trip Advisor site - but felt that the Hand in Heart certainly deserved it after several visits last year.

Turbo
Turbo

Postby Phantom1138 » 26 Jan 2015, 21:18

Wednesday 28th January
We have a quantity of draft beer left in the clubhouse and so this week it has been decided to meet there. Draft beer just £1/pint.

I will have some backup bottled supplies at cost if needed to ensure continuity and will go and put some heating on at about 20:00 so it is not cold.

Roger Day
Phantom1138

PreviousNext

Return to General